Community Facility & Operations Survey Results
For the past eighteen months the District has been conducting a comprehensive facility and operations study. During the study,
district-wide needs were identified and potential solutions of our facilities and operations were reviewed. The process included partnering with the WASB (Wisconsin Association of School Boards), JP Cullen, Bray Architects, PMA Financial, Forecast 5, and Skyward. Each partner brought expertise in specific areas of our study.
In September, the School Board approved organizing an FAC (Facility Advisory Committee) to work with our partners to review facility and operational needs and examine potential solutions. The committee, which met 17 times, consisted of 35 parents, staff and community members.
In April the District sent a survey to all residents regarding the facility and operational needs. Highlights of the survey responses include:
- 1,096 (19%) residents completed the survey
- 81% of respondents are satisfied or very satisfied with the Edgerton School District
- 68% of respondents recommend the School Board pursue a referendum to address facility needs
- 53% of respondents support a referendum to address operational needs
- 58% of respondents support a referendum up to $45 million
With over 1,000 responses, the FAC was provided excellent data from our taxpayers to develop their recommendation which was presented to the School Board on June 25. The recommendation addresses the highest priorities that fall within the tax tolerance of the school district residents. The $40.6 million solution includes:
- Expand and renovate Community Elementary School
- Address Safety & Security upgrades at all schools
- Repairs to district-wide infrastructure
- Renovate High School science labs
- Renovate High School Commons and Office
The FAC also recommended the School Board consider an operations referendum to support the new facility improvements, attract and retain a highly effective staff, and expand opportunities for students. During the next six weeks the School Board will evaluate the survey results and FAC recommendation to determine the need for a potential November 2018 referendum.
Residents can review the full community survey report along with other facility and operations information by visiting the District website. Residents are also encouraged to contact me if you have any questions or would like additional information.
It is a privilege to serve as the Edgerton School District Superintendent.
Dr. Dennis Pauli